[oslc-core] Questions about the creator property

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Thu May 6 14:31:41 EDT 2010

I think dc:creator should identify the user that created the resource. In
general, services will require a user to authenticate before they can
create resources (e.g. to prevent malicious use). The service will
therefore have some type of user identify available at resource creation
time, and in general that will be some type of resource. Therefore, a
simple string is not suitable. Using a foaf:Person provides a lot of
flexibility since it can have additional properties such user id's, names,

I think the simplest way to provide the user identity is via the
foaf:account property of foaf:Person, e.g. if I created a page on the OSLC

                <foaf:name>Arthur Ryman</foaf:name>
                <foaf:account rdf:resource="
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/ArthurRyman" />

Here I am simply referring to the account resource. It could have type
foaf:OnlineAccount, but we don't have to inline that.

Arthur Ryman, PhD, DE

Chief Architect, Project and Portfolio Management

IBM Software, Rational

Markham, ON, Canada | Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

Dave <snoopdave at gmail.com>
Nick Edgar/Ottawa/IBM at IBMCA
oslc-core at open-services.net
05/06/2010 09:48 AM
Re: [oslc-core] Questions about the creator property
Sent by:
oslc-core-bounces at open-services.net

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the feedback. I think we may need some tweaks in this area.

I just added some text to the Core spec to clarify how foaf:Person is
supposed to be used:
- dc:creator MUST be either a Resource or Local Inline Resource of
type foaf:Person
- foaf:Person MUST include either a foaf:name or both foaf:givenName
and foaf:familyName

That's is how things stand today. We only allow foaf:Person for
dc:creator and we only support those three foaf:Person properties. In
this area, OSLC Core was trying to approximate what was done in
earlier OSLC specs.

Of course, we still have time to change, and now is the time to get this

Seems like having some form of user ID would be a very good thing and
so I wonder:

1) Have we had user ID in previous OSLC specs and/or have we had some
discussions about the implications of specifying user ID's in

2) Any opinions about how we use dc:creator in OSLC? Should it be a
simple "full-name" string as the FOAF guidance suggests?

3) Any opinions about if or how we should specify user ID? I think
"foaf:OnlineAccount" would probably be preferable to "oslc:userID" and
preferable to pulling in the SIOC namespace.

- Dave