1 of 1
{/paginate}
Proposal for Human Factors working group
Posted: 15 July 2015 05:29 AM   Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-12-08

Hello OSLC community

The HoliDes project would like to propose a new working group for the domain of Human Factors. I did post this to the mailing group community@open-services.net as suggested on the “creating a new working group page” but I didn’t get any response.

The HoliDes project is developing a Reference Technology Platform to allow human factor based tools to exchange information for smarter collaboration. We would like to use OSLC as the basis of that exchange. A number of partners in the HoliDes project will drive this working group but of course, anyone interested is welcome. More information about the HoliDes project can be found at :http://www.holides.eu/

I have attached the draft charter to this post as a document,(if it hasn’t worked please let me know!) please don’t hesitate to get in touch with questions and comments. I understand that after I’ve received critique and refined the charter I can then submit it to the steering committee?

Kind Regards,

Ian

File Attachments 
Human_Factors_Charter_v1.0.docx  (File Size: 16KB - Downloads: 219)
Human_Factors_Charter_v1.0.docx  (File Size: 16KB - Downloads: 218)

Posted: 15 July 2015 10:18 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2015-03-23

Ian, This sounds like a very valuable contribution. And thanks for your interest in OSLC.

OSLC specification development is in the process of migrating to OASIS. The existing OSLC 2.0 specifications will continue to be maintained here on open-services.net. And OASIS specifications may make normative references to open-services.net specifications, especially during the migration process.

The open-services.net site is sill an excellent place to collaborate on the identification of new specification opportunities, addressing defects in the current open-services.net OSLC 2.0 specifications, and for exploring usage patterns and best practices for leveraging OSLC enabling technologies to support effective integration.

There are many reasons for utilizing OASIS for OSLC standards development, but the primary one is to encourage and facilitate broader participation in standards development. You may consider submitting your charter proposal to the OASIS OSLC Member Section Steering Committee for the creation of a new OSLC domain Technical Committee. See the OASIS Technical Committee Process for further details.

Regarding your charter, it looks very comprehensive and well thought out. My only suggestion is to consider the use of the word “interchange”. OSLC is based on RDF and Linked-Data principles that allow applications to integrate and share federated data without interchange and data copy that can result in data redundancy and lifecycle management problems. OSLC prefers integration over interchange since interchange often focuses on copying data between tools that do similar things (focusing on overlap) while integration focuses on linking data between tools that do different things (focusing on collaboration and increased business value).

Posted: 21 July 2015 09:31 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-12-08

Hi,

Thanks for your response! No problem to change to integration.

I’ve had a look at OASIS. It seems that you have to pay a membership fee in order to contribute. Can you confirm if that is indeed the case? If so, does that mean it’s not possible to create a new working group at open-services.net?

Will open-services.net eventually become redundant overtime if it’s only for addressing the version 2.0 specs when the later versions come out from OASIS?

Kind Regards,

Ian

Posted: 21 July 2015 10:50 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2015-03-23

You can get information on OASIS membership requirements from their site.

Regarding open-service.net, we see it becoming more of a place to collaborate on integration issues and opportunities including: 1. Identifying the demand, motivation and scope for new domain specifications that would be developed through OASIS TCs 2. Collaborating around best practices for utilizing OSLC and the existing domain specifications. 3. Exploring integration patterns that move beyond technologies that enable integration to applications and services that support it.

These are not activities that would typically be done in a standards body like OASIS. This provides a means of addressing the development of the standards at OASIS and best practices on using them at open-services.net.

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}